While the benefits are numerous, moving to the cloud is not without challenges. Know before you go.
If your company is ready to migrate to the cloud, you will be joining the ranks of many other forward-thinking organizations. But before you take your initial steps, think ‘migration strategy’. Without migration planning you will run into problems that can be avoided.
Here are some useful tips to help guide you.
What is Cloud Migration?
A cloud migration is when a company moves some or all of its data center capabilities into the cloud, usually to run on the cloud-based infrastructure provided by a cloud service provider such as VAZATA, a managed hosting, Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and cloud managed service provider serving Global 1000 businesses, U.S. Federal Government Agencies and Mid-Market Enterprises.
Cloud Migration Benefits
- Scalability Your organization can scale to support larger workloads and more users, easier than on-premises infrastructure. Instead of purchasing and setting up physical servers, software licenses, storage and network equipment to scale up business services, a service provider like VAZATA can do it for you.
- Cost When a cloud managed service provider takes the reins, the cost of maintenance and upgrades is measurably less. It allows you to devote more resources to innovation, developing new products or improving existing products.
- Performance A cloud migration can noticeably improve performance and end-user experience. Applications and websites hosted in the cloud are easily scaled to serve more users, running in geographical locations closer to end-users to help reduce network inactivity.
- Digital experience Users have the advantage of accessing cloud services and data from anywhere, whether they are employees or customers. This enables an enhanced experience for customers, while also providing employees with the latest, most flexible tools.
Cloud Migration Challenges
- Little or No Strategy If you don’t take sufficient time to outline your strategy, cloud migration can be risky. To migrate and implement to the cloud requires rigorous end-to-end cloud migration planning. There are likely different requirements for various applications and datasets, so a different approach may be needed for each. Clarify each business case for each workload before you begin the cloud migration process.
- Cost Management Set clear KPIs so there will be no question about what you plan to spend or save after migration. Cloud environments are dynamic, so costs can fluctuate quickly as new services are added and/or application usage grows.
- Vendor Lock-In This can be a problem if cloud providers offer a wide range of services, but do not extend them to other cloud platforms. Migrating workloads from one cloud to another can be lengthy and costly. If you start using cloud services and later decide to switch providers, it can be problematic.
- Data Security and Compliance Even though your cloud provider may provide robust security measures, it is your organization’s responsibility to configure them correctly and ensure that all services and applications have the appropriate security controls. If your organization does not do this, it can create exposure.
- Cloud Migration Planning What are the factors that will govern your migration? Are they critical application data, legacy data, and application interoperability? Also determine your reliance on data: do you have data that needs to be resynced regularly, data compliance requirements to meet, or non-critical data that can possibly be migrated during the first few passes of the migration?
You will be able to create a solid plan for the tools you’ll need during migration by making these determinations first. Identify which data needs to be migrated and when. Does the data need any scrubbing? What are the kind of destination volumes to use and will you need need encryption of the data both at rest and in transit?
Once you have your cloud migration plan created, reviewed, and understood by the respective players, you will be ready to work with a managed cloud provider like VAZATA confident the execution of your cloud migration is in the best possible hands. Contact us today for your cloud migration.