Gartner has predicted that by 2019, public cloud service providers will handle 20% of healthcare provider IT workloads. As we’ve noted, crucial challenges for healthcare organizations now include cleaning up data infrastructures, handling the shift to mobile devices, implementing new technology, and securely enforcing regulations while building out successful cloud-based infrastructure strategies. The healthcare cloud must be compatible with initiatives like the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
Only a specialized cloud and hybrid infrastructure solution can deliver improved overall performance and fast access to patient information while simultaneously protecting electronic medical records (EMR), electronic protected healthcare information (ePHI) and other sensitive data.
To underscore the stakes involved, we only need to recall a well-known “fake leak” experiment conducted by Bitglass that put over 1,500 fake names, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, addresses and phone numbers into an Excel spreadsheet and posted it anonymously to the Dark Web. In less than two weeks it had traveled to 22 countries on five continents, including cybercrime syndicates in Nigeria and Russia.
So, while healthcare organizations are embracing cloud deployments in order to reap cloud benefits, no one faces more severe compliance penalties if breaches occur. Given the stakes, when seeking a secure and compliant hybrid cloud services provider, be sure to add these items to your checklist:
- A secure production environment deployed on a hybrid architecture that delivers dedicated compute resources in a multi-tenant storage solution.
- Compliance with HIPAA, FISMA, PCI, SSAE 16, and Underwriters Laboratory (UL) certification; FedRAMP authorization; and Tier III+ data centers.
- Deep experience mastering the intricacies of designing, installing, and moving mission critical application into a virtualized environment.
- A robust back-up and recovery capability provided through a world-class private data center network.
- A 100% SLA for network, hypervisor, and storage layers.
Having worked with a number of prominent healthcare clients, the Vazata team understands the uncompromising level of security and compliance required to ensure mission critical healthcare applications. Why not contact us about your specific needs and get on the path to a high performance cloud solution that keeps your vital healthcare applications and data always available.