Internet of Things is trending, it’s all the rage and it’s been described as monstrous. It’s true. It is big. Internet of Things (IoT) or Internet of Everything (IoE) is the quiet communication that is happening all the time. Plain and simple, if your device can communicate in any way to the Internet, the Internet will talk back.
Here’s a snapshot of IoT and what the world will look like in the year 2020:
1. Projections indicate there will be over 26 billion connected devices by 2020, while others scoff and say it will be over 100 billion!
2. Did you hear the new one about the tights you can put on that take your measurements, which then transmits that to your store of choice so you can buy the exact size you’re looking for? Yes, by 2020 you’ll probably be wearing smart clothes. It’s estimated that 10.2 million units of smart clothing will have been sold by then.
3. By 2020, there will be 6.1 billion smartphone users, according to the Ericsson Mobility Report. That’s a lot of data!
4. Automated driving is on the horizon, thanks to IoT. By 2020, 25 cars will be connected to the IoT behemoth; that’s one in five on the road worldwide. As of today, Google cars average about 10,000 miles per week per car. Once traffic signals and roads are connected, vehicles and vehicles’ roads will be communicating faster than ever and you’ll have your own built-in chauffer.
5. By 2020, everything from your entire house, your car to your body will be wired to the IoT. It’s estimated that this last year, a total spend of $235 billion was supported by IoT. By 2020, that will increase to $1.7 trillion.