South by Southwest is an annual festival held in Austin, Texas that has gone from introducing local home grown performers to a festival that now welcomes major headliners, technology leaders and filmmakers from all over the world.
Tons of tech trends emerged from this year’s show, we’ll go over them later this week. First, let’s start with the basics.
Here are our Fast Five Facts about SXSW:
1. The festival was born in 1987 and as it inches towards the big 3-0, it has grown from 175 acts and 700 people to 2000 acts and 376,000 attendees in 2014!
2. Originally, SXSW was a music festival that eventually incorporated film and interactive media into the mix
3. Speaking of movies, the name of the festival was inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s movie, North by Northwest
4. Grumpy Cat is a huge celebrity amongst SXSW attendees and yes, he was there this year too
5. Legends were born here, Twitter was introduced at SXSW in 2007, Foursquare in 2009
More SXSW coverage coming this week, stay tuned!